WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index
Forum dedicated to Van Halen Model Guitars

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Much for Basswood?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Ernie Ball/Music Man & Kramer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hbucker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: How Much for Basswood? Reply with quote

I think basswood is an excellent tonewood. But it does have it's limitations from a durability standpoint. Notably for me on the strapbutton screws. I've had a couple guitars have their button screw holes stripped with regular wear. Another problem I've heard of is pivot posts starting to lean out of basswood bodies because their holes start to loosen up with use.

In your opinion is basswood a valid tonewood to use at any price or is there a limit to how much you would pay for a guitar with a basswood body?
lew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anderson have no problem using it for expensive guitars and nor do charvel/fender for the art series(not that i trust there integrity) as do ebmm,surley it's a question of quality woods rather than species from a durability stand point.Basswood is soft I know but have you seen evo on vai's site?That has taken a royal beating,and he is still using it.

If trem posts and buttons are threading on there own I would use your warranty,but if buttons etc have been replaced a bit.Then any wood will thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Ernie Ball/Music Man & Kramer All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: