WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index
Forum dedicated to Van Halen Model Guitars

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peavey Wolfgang Special EXP - colors?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord_Jereth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Peavey Wolfgang Special EXP - colors? Reply with quote

Ok, I've done a ton of research online, however I can't really find any answers to my question and the Peavey customer service rep. I spoke to via email was little help.

The Wikipedia page covering the Peavey Wolfgang, and specifically the sub-heading about the EXP model, as well as other info pages, site only four colors that it was manufactured in: amber, maroon, blue, and sunburst. However, mine is a black quilt. I can find no reference anywhere to this color, nor can I find any pictures of it online except in the eBay listing that I bought it from.

So, my question is: can anyone tell me about non-standard colors? Is there something special about them? The guitar plays like a dream and the picture below doesn't do it justice, but was trans-black just used to cover an oopsy on the veneer quilt? Why can I find no reference to other colors anywhere? Have I got the wrong model, somehow? Do I have a very well made counterfeit on my hands? Peavey doesn't seem to think so. So what's the deal?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cool LJ

Photo: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=344317945733524&l=e80d25aa69
davolk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey LJ. I don't know the answer to your question. I'm only aware of the 4 colors for the Korean model also. I have a red (maroon) one. Have you been to "rockandrollweekend.com"? It's a site run by Geoff Knapp and has more information than any one person should know about Peavey Wolfgangs. He invites questions so you might want to ask him. His e-mail address is "geoff@rocknrollweekend.com". I e-mailed him a question earlier today and he got back to me within 10 minutes with an answer.

Hope this helps.
Lord_Jereth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi davolk,

Yes, I did visit that site when I was researching colors and such. I believe I even tried to send him an email at one point. However, I never heard back. I have since talked to some other unofficial sources in the U.S. and in Canada that have told me that at one time, back in the day, there were several unofficial colored models running around. As to why the discrepancy in the stories of "official" history and wiki sites, I have no idea. There seems to be a general hush over the subject and a general reluctance to speak on the matter throughout the community, including Peavey, itself.

I am left to theorize that the Korean factory that produced these guitars simply put out several color choices, on top of the official four talked about, of their own volition and simply shipped them with the rest. Peavey was probably left with little choice but to send them out to vendors as-is. From what I have heard, these colors are a bit rare nowadays, so I am content with my choice.

Thanks for the input. If you run across any more info, feel free to share it here.

Cool LJ
davolk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they did some unofficial things in the USA factory, but I've never heard that with the Korean models. I've owned and tracked these guitars for years and have never seen or heard of a Korean model in a trans black, although it sounds awesome (I couldn't get your pic to pull up). I wonder if it was a color choice for another market (Asia or Europe maybe) and it found its way here somehow. The serial number starts with a "0" (Korean made) instead of a "9" (USA made) right?
Lord_Jereth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are direct links to the pictures off of my private server at home.

The serial appears in the second one. I was just theorizing about the Korean factory doing the extra colors. Your theory sounds just as, if not more, credible than mine. Who knows?

Cool LJ
davolk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...interesting that your serial starts with "03". Every Korean model I've seen starts with "02". I'll bet Peavey could tell you specifically what the "3" means as the second number instead of a "2". Check out any Korean model for sale right now with the serial number listed and it will start with "02".
Lord_Jereth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first people I contacted on this question was a representative of Peavey via email. He was able to tell me approximately around when it was built and that it was a genuine Peavey Wolfgang Special EXP. No worries. It's not a counterfeit. However, when I emailed him a second time about the unofficial colors, specifically this one, I received no further answer.

Cool LJ
davolk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider calling them and ask about it. I called today and got someone on the phone right away who answered all my questions. They like to talk about their stuff so I think you may get further on the phone. Let me know what you figure out.
davolk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I was at my local Guitar Center yesterday and noticed they have a used red EXP that has a "04" serial number so my theory about EXPs all having a "02" serial number is debunked. Also, hanging from the ceiling in the corner were 3 brand new Indonesian made EVH Wolfgangs. One of them was trans black just like your Peavey EXP. Maybe that color was a limited experiment that EVH was considering but he left Peavey before they could mass produce it. It's an awesome color.
Lord_Jereth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, devolk. The info is much appreciated.

Yeah, the new Wolfgangs have me G.A.S.ing pretty bad. They have everything I love about the Wolfgang, but with comfort cuts to the body. It's the one thing I miss on mine and I have thought about finding a luthier who could do the job. Now, I may not have to. Very Happy

Cool LJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Peavey All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: