WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index
Forum dedicated to Van Halen Model Guitars

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5150 Combo & POD 2.0????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Brown Sound
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMan5150

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: 5150 Combo & POD 2.0???? Reply with quote

I just bought a used 5150 Combo amp (made in 2004, if it matters at all) and was wondering if I can somehow use my POD 2.0 with this amp. I'm all about two tones: creamy but somewhat heavily distorted blues tone and Eddie's famous brown sound. My guitar has EMG select pickups. So far, I'm having a little trouble dialing in a tone I really like. I don't have a smartgate, but my POD has one. I'd love to use the POD in the effects loop for it's noisegate, delay, flange, and maybe reverb - is this advised or possible?

I tried it briefly the other day and couldn't get a tone to save my life. Best I'm coming up with is just guitar and amp using the rythym/hi gain input. The lead channel seems to be too much - almost not even necessary for anything except heavy leads (guess that's why they call it the lead channel!)

Any help and advice you can give to me to help me dial in my tone would be greatly appreciated!! My combo is bone stock. Thanks!
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to make sure the POD's amp and speaker simulators are turned off. If I remember correctly the POD has 2 outputs one for speaker sim and one straight - don't use the speaker sim output.

The only other reason I could think the POD would sound bad is that it wants a full range speaker (PA speaker).

Ned
Tokai Guitars
BMan5150

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ned. Cool website by the way. I know how to turn off the speaker cabinet simulator, but I'm not sure how I can turn off the amp modeling. Let me know if you happen to know how to turn it off. Thanks!
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMan-

It's been a long time since I've had a POD. You may be able to bypass the amps or I believe there is a setting for clean preamp. Check the manual on the amp bypass.

This type of application is where the POD XT really shines.
Tokai Guitars
BMan5150

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Ned. I'm going to try the "tube preamp" model and also the "Line 6 Clean" in the effects loop to see what I can get it to do. I can fine tune the Pod using MIDI and my laptop, so maybe I can get it to work.

And I'll look into the POD XT. I've heard great things about it.

Funny, I almost bought a Line 6 Flextone III but I never could get a great rock/distortion sound out of it. I did think the cleaner stuff was fantastic, though. And then I ran across this used 5150 Combo and I think it's going to sound fantastic once I get my guitar dialed in.

Take care,

BMan
Hakk Wyldly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the POD for a pre-amp with 5150 is a complete waste. I mean, you spent the money on the 5150 to get the good 5150 tone, then found out the amp is a piece of shit.

Sell the 5150 on ebay. Some chump will buy it thinking he can dial in tones like Vholic. Then once you unloaded it, use the money to get a solid state Randall VHT head and 4x12 for the same price you paid for the used 5150.

If you like the sounds the POD has to offer, you'll love the randall.

I am calling bullshit. I don't think Vholic got those sounds from the combo. At least not without some mods or recording tricks. The 5150 combo is a mid ranged nasal POS with a unresponsive EQ, bright and prescence.
BMan5150

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like the tones the POD 2.3 gave me - I like the tone the Peavey 5150 Combo gives me. I just wanted to use the POD for the effects (gate, verb, echo, etc.)

I'd have to disagree with your comments on the 5150 Amp for the most part. While I do think the reverb stinks and the EQ could offer a bit more shaping impact, the overall tone and responsiveness of this tube beast is killer IMHO. I doubt I'll ever go back to solid state, although I did like the tones I got from a Marshall AVT150H and AVT275. Just didn't think the headroom was there with the Marshall solid state (or any other solid state I've tried.)
Hakk Wyldly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now getting decent tones from the amp even at bedroom levels. I dropped a tone zone in the bridge of my OLP. I take it back. I take it all back.

I was able to peg the tone from VHII .. I have been playing somebody get me a doctor and it sounds good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Brown Sound All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: