WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index
Forum dedicated to Van Halen Model Guitars

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone know if his floyds are floating or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Fender / Charvel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibanezguy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know if his floyds are floating or not? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if EVHs trems float or rest on the body. I have a guitar with a floating floyd trem but it sucks when i wanna drop tune it or change the tuning. I was thinking of a EVH model but i only wanna get one if the floyd rests ont he body. Can someone help me out. Very Happy
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed always has his trems resting on the body or down only, so the Art Series should have down only. Of course they also have different necks than the ones Ed plays so your never know. I know the D-Tuna won't work on a floating trem.

You could always just set yours to down only.

Ned
Tokai Guitars
Ibanezguy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Setting the trem down Reply with quote

Setting the trem down would be perfect. I just dont know how to do that. I didnt think you could do that with a trem thats already floating due to the contour in the wood, or rather the space already cut out for it. ( i hope that made sense lol). Anway id rather do that than buy a new guitar all together. If you could send me a link on info on how to do that or the name of a place that could do that for me that would be awsome. I was also thinking of building my own EVH, or something like it but im unsure of a parts wholesaler that sells that stuff. Anways i appreciate how fast you replied. this sites awsome. Thanks Also, do you know what gadge strings eddie uses? tapping on tens or elevens tires my fingers out way too fast!!!!!!!
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a way to "block" the trem into down only but usually you just lower it down to the body. May want to have a tech adjust this as you will probably need a complete setup as the intonation may go out after your lower the trem. You could put the D-Tuna on too - GC has them for $29.

Ned
Tokai Guitars
Ibanezguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: the trem Reply with quote

I called up GC today and the tech said that he could make a costume peice of wood and put it in there so it would stop it from pitching up but i cold still go down on the trem, he said that would be about 10 bucks for the trem stopper and 35 for the fret leveling ( Ineed one of those desprately) and since i already got a set up 6 months ago, he wouldnt charge me for that. The d tuna is there too for cheap like you said, 29 bucks. I figure ill do all that and have the guitar i want with no more ( at least less) headaches. Thanks for all your help ned!!!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.
Tokai Guitars
permianrockguitar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a device called a tremelo-no...it can be set for fixed bridge, down only and fully floating. I've seen a demo where if they bridge is set to fixed or down only bending strings or even snapping strings off doesn't effect it. So if you don't want to have the bridge resting flat on the guitar but still want the d-tuna to work you could always fit one, set the floyd to have a slight amount of pitch and then set the tremel-no to down only.
SausageStudios

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always use a 1971 quarter......it'll only cost you 25 cents Wink
dua

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to point out though, Warmoth makes one HELL of a tight joint fit on their matched body-neck sets, and as such sustain very well for a bolt on. Now I'll jump behind some sand bags and brace myself for the barrage of retorts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Fender / Charvel All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: