WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index
Forum dedicated to Van Halen Model Guitars

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5150 combo questions and advice help needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Brown Sound
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djvignola

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: 5150 combo questions and advice help needed. Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I heard about this forum from a friend and this is my 1st time here. This is a great site for us Peavey players. Thanks to all who helped build it. I am now a regular visitor. I do have a few questions about my set up maybe someone can help.

I have a Wolfgang std and playing through a 5150 combo, which I just bought, used form a friend. The tubes are about 3 years old and I was going to put a new set in. They are the stock sovtek power and pre-amp tubes. The amp sounds great but a little "harsh" or "trlill" sounding if that makes sense. I have my eq set at Low=10, mid=3, high=1 with the resonance=6 and the presence=4. My rhythm pre is on 10 and post on 4. I needed the pre all the way up to get a nice sustain which I thought was strange. I have tried messing with all the settings to get a more warm sound with still keeping the "bite" that sovteks are know for. Does anyone have any advice on which tubes to get? I want that heavy distortion thick sound that has great sustain and some bite but not to where it is "harsh".

I also just purchased a mxr smartgate after reading about it on this website. it should be here in a few days. Where in the effects chain do I put it? Here is my effects chain currently - - guitar -> tuner - > wah -> boss flanger - > mxr phase 90. In the effect loop - Boss dd3 delay --> boss dd5.

Lastly, I am considering going with a 2x12 ext cab as well to achieve that half stack sound. Do I go with a 16 ohm cab and just plug it in to the ext cab jack? Has anyone tried this and if so, how was your results?

Thanks for helping me with all my questions. Have a great holiday season everyone.
hbucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of folks, including me, have had good luck with JJ tubes. A good place to order them from is eurotubes.com. You can call Bob and talk to him about what sound your looking for an he'll hook you up with tubes that best fit your amp and tastes. His prices are good too.

I've also tried EV preamp tubes which don't seem as warm to me but I'm not playing them through a 5150 either. In my Classic 100 they're edgy and harmonic but not quite as warm as the JJ's.

Good Luck.
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would listen to Hbucker on the tubes.

As far as the SmartGate I would put it in the loop before your delay pedals.

I would try a Marshall 2x12 cab at 16 ohms. Might be cool if you can find a open back extension cab. Take your amp with you when you try cabs or find a place that has a 5150 combo.

Ned
Tokai Guitars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Brown Sound All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: