WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index
Forum dedicated to Van Halen Model Guitars

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peavey Annouces Wolfgang Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Announcements & Website Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Peavey Annouces Wolfgang Replacement Reply with quote

Peavey has issues a press release for the Wolfgang replacement.

Official Press Release

Ned
Tokai Guitars
hbucker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't care because I have all the Wolfgangs I plan on owning. But this seems kind of like a joke. By no means does it look like, "If you loved the Wolfgang, you'll love the HP Special." I think you can say this for the most part about the EVH and Axis guitars.

I think the name is a joke too.

Disclaimer: To be fair, if the pickups and neck are identical, then basically it's the same guitar and I can live with that. But from what it looks like, the neck may be the only thing that survived from the Wolf.

I also don't like the look. The narrow pointy horns make it look too 80's. Since it isn't an 80's guitar, it looks like they just couldn't think of anything else to do with it.

Over all, I'm not impressed with anything I've seen here. I'm sure it's a good guitar but I think they're squandering the Wolfgang legacy...
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HB-

Peavey purposely made the guitar look different so that it wouldn't be considered a Wolfgang clone. I think this is a good thing as it will keep the Wolfies as "something special". One of the things that Peavey did was use feedback gathered by Wolfgang owners and through the custom shop - almost everything on the HP Special is due to what Wolfgang owners wanted to see as changes to the Wolfie.

I will have all the details next week but here is a preview.

Neck - slightly different, still compound radius
PUPs - different but still the same flavor. Volume and tone are push pull and I've been told you can get Wolfgangish tones, Strat tones and Tele tones from this guitar.

After I get back from NAMM I'll post all the details on the changes.

Ned
Tokai Guitars
hbucker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why they don't want it to be a Wolfgang clone. EBBMM seems to be doing o.k. with the Axis. And why don't they care about the 6505 being a 5150 clone?

I look at it and think the skinny horns look cheap: appealing mostly to teenagers in a thrash metal garage band. The Wolf has a distinctive body shape. The HP doesn't IMO.

Your point about the Wolf being unique is well taken. The coil taps are a good option. Changing the pickups much would be a huge mistake IMO. They are distinctive and unique. Changing them will only serve to make them more like other existing pickups.

Are you sure it has a compound radius? I've always read that it was a 15" radius from top to bottom. Both of mine seem that way. Are you talking about the back of the "asymetrical" neck and not the fretboard???

I really don't care about this as much as it sounds. But I frequently look at decisions PV makes and wonder what they're thinking. Honestly, I think this is the kind of thing that has kept them from bieng on par with some of the big manufacturers and why many people think the company puts out cheap gear. I don't see the HP Special as something that a PRS guy would look at and find appealing. It will appeal more to teenagers. Teenagers need guitars too but in this price range they'll do better by mellowing the styling to make it look more classic IMO.

I've always looked at the original HP Signature model and thought it looked like a good guitar but nothing unique in the styling dept. I also assumed it wouldn't be a product offered 5 years from now...

We'll see. I hope I'm wrong.
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pups are very similar and Ed may own the original specs on the Wolf pups. Remember EBMM developed the Axis before signing EVH and therefore had the "right" to continue building the guitar after Ed left...

I'll get the rest of the scoop on the changes next week.
Tokai Guitars
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added some info to the HP Special page but here is a summary.

1) The HP Specials are currently in production and should be available soon.

2) Peavey will continue to custom wind the pickups for the HP Special just as they did for the Wolfgang

3) 5150 strings will be rereleased as HP Custom Shop strings, look for a Summer NAMM announcement.

Ned
Tokai Guitars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Announcements & Website Info All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: