WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index
Forum dedicated to Van Halen Model Guitars

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just picked up a new Wolfgang Standard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Fender / Charvel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmz76

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Just picked up a new Wolfgang Standard Reply with quote

Was in GC several weeks ago and they had a new EVH Wolfgang I had never seen before (EVH Wolfgang Standard). it was gloss black with solid black pickups. No maple cap.

Tested it out though a 5150 III 50-watt head and there were heads turning in the store. All those sweet harmonics were ringing just right. Although the factory action was a little high I could still appreciate the neck and feel. The neck on these reminds me of the Ernie Ball EVH model. I noted that it was made in Indonesia but for the modest asking price of $500 decided to take it home.

Got a pro setup job done on it and had the tremolo set correctly, D-Tuna installed, etc... Put EVH brand strings on it (.09-.42s) and have spent a week breaking it in. Just have to say these are a great value. I have a very hard time putting the guitar down. I contacted EVH Gear and learned that although the pickups are not Zebra stripped, they are still identical to the EVH neck and bridge pickups found in all EVH Wolfgang guitars. The volume and tone pots are the same as well. The tremolo units are EVH brand Floyd Rose licensed. I have tried to force it out of tune with the term bar and have never had to tune it. When I got it back from the service tech I tuned it down 1/2 step, locked the nut and haven't had to touch it since.

Some other observations on these: The frets are jumbo and not vintage style, but they are dressed better than the Mexican built EVH Stripped series (and the Standard Wolfgang's cost less). Neck is not quarter swan or birdseye (they have to cut corners somewhere) but it's cut to the same radius, nut width and scale length as the higher-end Wolfgang models with maple fretboard.

Never owned an official EVH guitar, but I did have an Ernie Ball Axis AX40 a few years ago, IMO the Wolfgang Standard sounds better. It's a close call, but I really love the EVH pickups.

It's great to finally see a affordable official EVH guitar. Great choice for players like me who don't generally use guitar of this type in the creative process but have always wanted to own one for the fun of it.
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne-

Thanks for the info. I haven't tried any of the new EVH branded guitars but have a couple EBMM Axis and 3 PV Wolfgangs.

What part of Houston? I grew up in Kingwood.

Ned
Tokai Guitars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Fender / Charvel All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: