WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index
Forum dedicated to Van Halen Model Guitars

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you get the Brown Sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Brown Sound
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: How do you get the Brown Sound Reply with quote

Thought it would be good see others setups on achieving Eddie's Brown Sound or specific VH sounds. With or without using a 5150 amp.

Ned
Tokai Guitars
hbucker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not coming down on you or anything Ned but anymore the "Brown Sound" seems like such a diluted description of tone that It's almost meaningless to me.

It originally described, by Ed himself I believe, his tone. But if you listen to all the VH LP's, his tone changes from record to record fairly radically. Originally I wanted to cop his tone and still attempt to emulate it on some level I guess. It's just no longer my quest. Know what I mean?

The VH tones that I can most easily get are a VH 2 era tone with a Wolfgang and my PV Classic 100. It's got a really nice, toothy, dry tone with much more gain than folks give it credit for. I don't have any special pedals but proper use of a Boss delay and some reverb and I get pretty close. Add in some thick chorus and you're "face down in Cabo" before you know it.

The other major VH tone I get is with my Yamaha DG-Stomp preamp on a high gain setting running through the "Effects Return" jack on either a 112 combo or my Classic 100 head and Traynor cab. Using my EBMM EVH, I can get a good Carnal Knowledge tone. The singing harmonic sustain at the beginning of "Judgement Day" is one of my favorites. Using a Wolfgang with my coils split I can come up with the opening tone on "Runaround". (He actually used a Tele on the studio recording.) The rhythm parts on that song are good on the DG too. Using a Wolfgang with some of the high gain settings comes close to the VH-3 tones he had. Fuzzier is the best way to describe them. Some of my favorite VH tone of all time is off of the Balance c.d. The guitar solo of "Feelin'" probably being my favorite passage of the album. I can come close to that but not close enough to turn any heads. Cool

It's clear that I've spent some time working on this so it's not like I think the question is invalid. I just don't spend much time anymore trying to copy the new EVH tones. I also am not sure which of his tones constitutes the "brown sound" anyway. (Plus I couldn't possibly afford to try and keep up with what seem to be his ever changing tastes in gear manufacturers.)

I've heard some good clips on this board though. Some of you guys have really done your homework and your tone is right there. Certainly more so than mine. Maybe I'm just not willing to do homework... Wink
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly looking for something like you posted. To get close to a Hot For Teacher sound I use X with Y settings.

My favorite tone from Ed is what he uses on 5150 (the song not necessarily the whole record),

Ned
Tokai Guitars
hbucker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5150 on their "Live without a Net" video is perhaps the most jammin' live tune ever recorded. To me that clip is the essence of all things wonderful about Van Halen.
tjinca1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Boss GT8 and I am able to get several different VH sounds (Brown sound and 1984 sound so far). It is a really cool multi-effect.
ochay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a ART 2000 express (you can really get the brown sound with any amp) that's hooked into a Mesa .50 Cal Amp 1/2 stack- sound bitchen !
kiwikotzen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Vox Vt 50 amp. Is a modeling amp - the setting I use most of the time is US 90's and its based on the Peavey 6505. The amp comes with some cool effects built in too, sometimes I dail the phase in.

I use the EVH Wah Pedal cos I'm blown away by the new record ADKOT, and its a killer.

This works well for me cos I"m a bedroom (renamed "Mancave 5150 ") player.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Brown Sound All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: