WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index
Forum dedicated to Van Halen Model Guitars

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combo noise reduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Brown Sound
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tease

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Combo noise reduction Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie to this site and want to say that it totally rocks! I saw a thread over at the Guitar Forum at VHforums.com, and I register here, cause I think it needs a few more members to keep this great site going. And I am very interested in Ed's gear.

Anyways, I own a Wolfgang Special QT, and although a lot of people seem to think the Korean version is grap, I love mine! My main guitar used to be a Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960 Plus, but compared to my Wolfi it plays and sounds like shit! Here in Europe you basically can't get Wolfis, or at least they are VERY expenssive, but I am planning on buying a Standard cherryburst arch top in the Summer.
Until then I hopefully will get my 5150 Combo which I bought 3 freakin' months ago on EBAY, but the guys hadn't come around to send it yet. Evil or Very Mad He says he couldn't find any company that sends the heavy freight over to Europe. Well, he better find some soon, or I fly over to him, and then he'd better be wearing a cup! Twisted Evil

Anyway, besides rammbling I also have a question to you folks:
The Combo is said to make a lot of noise and hiss. And as I see it, there are only two ways to fix that:

1. run it with a noise gate
2. Retube the amp

What are the advances or the disadvances of those two methods? Which would you prefer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tease,

Ed uses a Rockman Smartgate to control the his on his 5150's. This is a half rack device invented by Tom Scholz of Boston and they carry a premium price. Fortunately Dunlop which bought Rockman has recreated this noise gate in a pedal. Here is a link to product available from Zzounds.com

http://www.zzounds.com/a--55844/item--MXRM135

Ned
Tokai Guitars
tease

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ned,

thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it.

Did you make any experince with it. Does it work that good that there is no more noise going on? Or do I also have to retube the thing?

BTW, I am also in need for a footswitch, but can't find the original footswitch for the 5150 combo here in Germany. What other footswitch can I use? Just another with 2 channels or has it to be from Peavey?
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the original smartgate with my MP1 and my Dean Markley RM40-DR, don't have a 5150. If the footswitch jack is a 1/4 inch plug any 2 button footswitch will work.

Ned
Tokai Guitars
tease

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great,

now if I only would find a retailer who is selling to overseas I would buy that thing. Zzounds only sells US national wide.
But I keep my eyes open. Maybe I'll find one.
Ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried Musicians Friend?

www.musiciancsfriend.com

Ned
Tokai Guitars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WolfgangRegistry.com Forum Index -> Brown Sound All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: